Thursday, July 30, 2009

Young Female Pileated Woodpecker

Young Female Pileated Woodpecker

I have been unable to get any decent photos, she does not hold still for a minute. I heard her again this morning, her constant squeaking noise, begging for food. She and her dad were on the backside of the trees out front. I think I interrupted his morning schedule of hammering on that poor birdhouse!
I have only seen one fledgling this year.

I have also had the Hairy juvenile showing up alone. He sits on the post, where he was getting regular feedings, and making little sounds. I think he is whining about having to feed himself. He then flies over to the suet basket and gets some grub, goes back to the post and feeds himself. I hope eventually he figures out he can just sit on the suet cage and fill up. without all the flying around!

Today is our 32nd wedding anniversary. This weekend we head back to RimRock Meadows, and will be getting our property prepared for a large shed. My biggest concern is the weeks long argument about any sunroof things (what ever they are called they let the light AND heat in, big time. It is a huge mistake for a place to sleep in in the desert!

Also there is now a bit of concern about the rattle snakes, and making sure we do not help them find shade under our shed. I would hate to step on one in the wee hours of the morning, or worse yet, during a night time run to use the restroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment