Thursday, July 23, 2009

A Moment With A Swallowtail Butterfly


A couple of weeks ago, while working in my flower beds, I noticed this beautiful Swallowtail on these pink flowers. Not a color scheme I would have picked, but this Butterfly stayed for quite a while on this patch of flowers, and I think, drank nectar from every one of them. I just found a dead Swallowtail in the nasturtiums yesterday afternoon, and remembered this photo. I should have taken more, as I have had nice numbers of butterflies this year, much more than what is normal. I attribute all my wonderful wildlife to the fact we have been organic gardeners now for over two seasons, and everything is flourishing, including the aphids; bringing an ample supply to birds and predatory insects.
If you click onto the photo, you get a bigger version, and can see the droplets of water on the flower petals, as well as spider webbing below and to the right of the butterfly.

No comments:

Post a Comment